Tuesday, August 3, 2010



The Holy Father gave His assent to the canonically election made by the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church of the Rev. Father Venedykt Aleksiychuk, Munich Studite of Univ, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Lviv of Ukrainians and assigning the titular Germaniciana. Rev. Father Venedykt Aleksiychuk Rev. Father Venedykt (Valery) Aleksiychuk was born on 1 January 1968 in the village of Borshchivka, Rivne region (Ukraine). He attended the Seminary of Drohobych and 29 March 1992 was ordained a priest. In 1993 he was welcomed in the Lavra of the Dormition of the monks Studiti of Univ and 31 December 1995 issued his first vows. He received his doctorate in spiritual theology at the Catholic University of Lublin (Poland). Ministered to the parish of Bystrytsia (deanery of Drohobych); Belarus to the parish of Polotsk and Vitebsk (1994-1996); Canada (1996-1999); was Ighumeno of Lavra Univ (2000 re-elected in 2005); member of the Commission Archbishop major for monasticism (2004); Administrator of the parish of St. Nicholas Peremyshlany (2004); head of the Secretariat of the Council of the monks of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Liturgical; President of the Council and President of major superiors of Men religious congregations of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (2007). Speaks Ukrainian, Polish, Belarusian and English. SOURCE


CNA News REPORT- On Monday, St. Peter's Square and the streets of Rome were already teeming with youth from many places in Europe who have come to the Eternal City as part of an altar server pilgrimage. Organizers explained in a press conference that they have a record turnout, despite any problems in the European Church.

Young people representing 17 countries and numbering more than 50,000, will celebrate two days of events in Rome. The Aug. 3-4 schedule includes talks, prayers, singing and time with the Pope for the thousands of altar servers.
Speaking to journalists at Vatican Radio's headquarters, the leaders of the European association of altar servers, Coetus Internationalis Ministrantium (CIM), noted that the turnout was unaffected by any so-called "crisis" within the Church.
The majority of participants come from Germany, according to organizers, who explained that much is being done in the country to provide for the safety of their youth. Out of the 52,904 European male and female servers involved in the pilgrimage, more than 45,000 come from Germany. Italy, Austria and Hungary are the next three largest contributors.
"This pastoral ministry is very important and the young people are glad to be here," said CIM vice president and lead organizer of “Roma 2010" Dr. Peter Hahnen in a translation provided by Swiss emcee Claudio Tomassini. "Their parents are confident that the people in charge will do everything to ensure the safety of the youth."
Tomassini noted that this is the best turnout they've ever had for the Rome pilgrimage, which takes place every 4-5 years.
The president of CIM, Auxiliary Bishop of Basil, Martin Gächter, also explained that the organization is celebrating 50 years of offering the European dioceses "experiences and the drive" to promote altar serving.Youth ministry for altar servers is "possible and important for every parish," and through their service, they "develop their personality, deepen their faith” and experience good friendships with other boys and girls, Bishop Gächter said.
Also taking part in the press conference was artist Bernhard Lang, who created a 15-foot tall sculpture of the young Roman St. Tarcisus now on display in St. Peter's Square. The 12-year-old acolyte, who is one of the patron saints of altar servers, was killed as he attempted to take the Eucharist to prisoners.
The highlights of the young pilgrims' time in Rome, said the organizers, will be Vespers in the Vatican square on Tuesday evening and the papal audience in the same venue on Wednesday morning.


The annual meeting of the Board of the Foundation Autonomous Populorum Progressio Foundation took place from 20 to 23 July 2010 in the Dominican Republic and Haiti, and have been received by the Card. Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo. The meeting this year was attended by the Card. Juan Sandoval Íñiguez, Archbishop of Guadalajara (Mexico) and Chairman of the Board, h.e. Mons. Edmundo Luis Abastoflor Montero, Archbishop of La Paz (Bolivia) and Vice-Chairman of the Board, h.e. Mons. Alberto Taveira Corrêa, Archbishop of Belém do Pará (Brazil), his Excellency Mons. Antonio Arregui Yarza, Archbishop of Guayaquil (Ecuador), his Excellency Mons. José Luis Astigarraga Lizarralde, Bishop of the Vicariate of Yurimaguas (Peru), his Excellency Mons. Oscar Urbina Ortega, Archbishop of Villavicencio (Colombia) and new Member, Mons. Segundo Tejado Muñoz, Official of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, and Dr. Juan Vicente Isaza Ocampo, Secretary of the Board, with headquarters in Bogotá. Sessions attended also Mons. Giovanni Battista Gandolfo, President of the Committee of the Italian Episcopal Conference for charitable interventions in favour of the third world. The Foundation, established in 1992 by the servant of God John Paul II, wants to be a sign of charity of the Pope towards indigenous peoples, peasants and Afro-American of Latin America and the Caribbean. The Board is composed of seven members: six are bishops from various countries of Latin America, and one comes from the Pontifical Council Cor Unum. At the beginning of the meeting were presented the different socio-political and ecclesial Nations represented, pastoral across the continent, with particular emphasis on the situation in Haiti.
At the end of study sessions, 186 projects were approved for 20 countries for a total of US $ 2,091,500 to be financed by the Italian Bishops ' Conference, through the Committee for assistance to charitable organizations in favour of the third World, the main supporter of the Foundation. Other 10 projects from Haiti will be financed directly by Cor Unum through donations received by the faithful for this purpose. Approved projects are aimed at different needs in different areas: production, community infrastructure, education, health and housing. Various dioceses of Haiti this year have submitted projects to the drilling and the construction of water reservoirs: the Diocese of Jérémie, Cayemittes for Islands, for example, requested funds for the construction of three tanks for rainwater collection, in order to get to eradicate the numerous infections among children, caused by shortage of drinking water. Most projects is aimed at rural and indigenous peoples, such as the request received for the purchase of a tractor on 60 families in the rural community of Lagoinha, of the Diocese of Goiás, Brazil.
A visit to Haiti by the Executive Board to the full, on 22 July, has been one of the most significant moments of the meeting. The visit, which had been scheduled before the earthquake of last January, was an opportunity to verify directly on site its consequences. Historically, the Foundation had a connection to the nation of Haiti: since 1993 there has financed a total of 150 projects. The visit was an opportunity to pray on the tombs of the Archbishop of Port-au-Prince, h.e. Mons. Miot and of vicar general, Mons. Benoît, who died during the earthquake. It has been possible to visit the ruins of the seminary and the Cathedral of the capital, accompanied by the Papal Nuncio, his Excellency Mons. Bernardito Auza and by the administrator of the diocese, h.e. Mons. Joseph Lafontant. The Card. Sandoval presided at the celebration of Holy Mass in one of the camps of the church together with a large group of priests and faithful. When the function was read the message of the Holy Father to the people of Haiti. With the message of the Pope, had been provided for the delivery of a gift of the Holy Father to US $ 250,000 for the reconstruction of the school of Saint François de Sales in Port au Prince. Bureaucratic problems have forced to change the beneficiary school, and to postpone the delivery of the donation.
In a special message, the Holy Father invited the people of Haiti to hope and stated that the presence of the Church, together with those who suffer, is manifested through its institutions and organizations for help: "I'm already after six months and Papa want to remind you that He won't forget. He always in mind the memory your anguish and know the difficulties you face to reconstruct your homes, your city and your life. " Definitely one of the major problems to be addressed in this moment is to housing, the need to find a solution for the hundreds of thousands of people living in tents in camps. Problems of safety, moral and human problems are increasing in these spaces do not fit a decent family and social life.
Going through the streets of the capital ingorgate, we hit the show these great off-road various humanitarian agencies, with flags of every type and color; which has led our reflection on the testimony that the Church is called upon to give under these circumstances: a presence which you embodied must unite with those who suffer, beyond the projects, strategies or of funds received.
The true humanity of the Church consists of giving the mentioned by Pope Benedict XVI in his first encyclical "Deus caritas est". The Holy Father reminds us that "those involved in charitable institutions of the Church must be distinguished by the fact that not only do so deft convenient thing at the moment, but devote themselves to another with the attention suggested by heart so that they experience their wealth of humanity" (DCE No. 31a). In the spirit of these words the Holy Father to the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, acting Department which coordinates the various Catholic aid agencies, together with the Apostolic Nunciature, organised a meeting between the various bodies in Haiti, including some Charities were present on the European continent and American. The Card. Sandoval was able to thank you on behalf of the Holy see such bodies for all the work done in collaboration with the local church, recalling that this "style of presence" should characterize and give courage to those who work in charitable institutions of the Church.
Last visit was the headquarters of Caritas Haiti, where Mons. Tejado, on behalf of the Card. Paul Josef Cordes, President of Cor Unum, delivered at the Head thereof a gift of the Pope of US $ 50,000 as a contribution to the great work done by this institution. Mons. Tejado stated that way forward to strengthen local organisations, promoting a fruitful collaboration with those who arrive in Haiti at this difficult time to lend a hand. Responsibility and taking charge of their own future depend on the Haitian population, as well as the training of new generations: cannot be the result of taxation. Humanitarian aid should not, past the time of emergency, be an obstacle for the integral development of peoples, because the Church always looks to the common good, i.e. the integral development of the human being: it is a proposal for the future in which does not have to miss the horizon of transcendence that really fills, slake and gives relief to humans.



Asia News report: A group of masked men opened fire on the faithful gathered to talk about security. Since 2008, members of extremists group threaten non-Muslims: "they pollute the land they live on and must leave."

Sukkur (AsiaNews / Agencies) - A dozen masked men opened fire against five Chrtians, killing them instantly as they left their church (see photo). The massacre occurred on 15 July, two months after threatening letters were sent to the church by a group of Islamic extremists outlawed by the government. The victims are Pastor John Aaron, Rohail Bhatti, John Salman, Abid Gill and Shamin Mall, all the faithful of the Church of the Gospel. Five other faithful were wounded in the attack.
Shahid John, son of Pastor Aaron says: "The five were gathered in the church along with others to discuss the security problem. After leaving, a group of armed men opened fire against us”. He escaped with a wound to the arm: "The area is steeped in fear. The police arrived 45 minutes after the attack, and we had to wait another 45 minutes for an ambulance".
Last May, the Sip-e-Sahaba (Islamic extremist group, also known as Sipah-e-Sahaba) had threatened the Christians to leave the area before it was too late. Kiran Rohail, wife of Rohail Bhatti (one of the wounded) said: "They told us that we are not welcome, that we pollute the land." The group is composed of members of a local madrassa (Islamic school), which has been threatening non-Muslims since 2008.
Naila John, widow of pastor killed in the attack, recalls: "In that year a group of Muslim students began threatening us, they wanted our land. Out of fear, only 55 Christian families remained in the area. " Local police "took our complaints but did not initiate any investigation. It is clear that threats from Muslims convinced them to stay out of the question".,-five-Christians-killed-outside-church-19102.html


UK DAILY MAIL  report: A soldier who stood on a landmine and was shot in the chest in Afghanistan is convinced a rosary saved his life in exactly the same way as his great-grandfather towards the end of the Second World War.

Glenn Hockton, 19, who is now home from a seven-month tour of duty with the Coldstream Guards in Helmand Province, was on patrol when his rosary suddenly fell from his neck.
His mother Sheri Jones said today: 'He felt like he had a slap on the back. He bent down to pick up his rosary to see if it was broken. As he bent down he realised he was on a landmine.'
Lucky charm: Glenn Hockton wearing the rosary which helped save his life in Afghanistan
Glenn had to stand there for 45 terrifying minutes while his colleagues successfully managed to get to him.
Mrs Jones, from Tye Green, Essex, said she was physically sick when her son rang to tell her of his ordeal.
More...Two British servicemen killed in separate incidents in Afghanistan
'He bit on a cyanide capsule and dropped dead': The final moments of Nazi Heinrich Himmler revealed in soldier's war diary
His great-grandfather Joseph 'Sunny' Truman also credited a rosary with saving his life in a World War II blast that killed six members of his platoon.
He was with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and after being captured towards the end of the war, he and other prisoners were forced to march away from the advancing Allied armies.
Mrs Jones, 41, recalled: 'He was walking across a field with half a dozen of his platoon. He bent down to pick something up and was the only one to survive a sudden bomb blast. He had picked up a rosary.'
Before Glenn was deployed to Afghanistan, she said he asked for a rosary to take with him.
Glenn's mother Sheri Jones with the bullet which was retrieved from his body armour
His mother and stepfather Danyal Jones have also kept a bullet which embedded itself in Glenn's body armour when he was shot on a separate occasion. He was winded, but otherwise he was unhurt.
Glenn, a mortar man, is in hospital at the moment with broken ribs he suffered in a non-work related mishap.
Glenn joined the Coldstream Guards at 16 and was deployed at the end of last October.
Mrs Jones said: 'As a parent, it was the hardest thing I had to do because being 16 I had to sign to give permission for him to join the Army. It was too painful to see him leave Brize Norton for Afghanistan.
At home his sister Danyel, six, and brothers George, eight, and TJ, 17, worried for their big brother. Mrs Jones said: 'It was horrible for them.
'I couldn't watch the news because the children used to say: "Is Glenn on there?" each time they said another soldier had been killed.'
Glenn's duties involved patrolling and loading the mortars. He was based in Helmand Province, which has seen some of the worst fighting, and Kabul.
'He lost a couple of close friends out there," his mother added. 'He is a very private person. We don't really push him [to talk about it]. If he wants to tell us, he tells us.

'He has turned around and said: "When you're out there, you either kill or you are killed".

Glenn is based in Aldershot and is now training ahead of his next deployment.

His mother said the Army had changed her son's life since he left Notley High School at 15.

She said: 'He is a better person. He went in a snotty-nosed 16-year-old that knew everything, a Jack the Lad. The change in him is unreal. It is a good change. I am very proud of him.

'We went up to London to Horse Guards Parade where they did their welcome home march. It was the proudest day of my life.'


Catholic Online report: The three nuns were traveling to Benedictine monastery for their yearly retreat.
According to police, the driver hit a guard rail and collided with the vehicle carrying the sisters head-on.
According to police officials, an alleged drunken driver, Carlos A. Martinelly Montano, 23, was driving Subaru Outback when it hit a guardrail on the road then swerved into the sisters' car, hitting it head-on.
RESTON, VA (Catholic Online) - Two Benedictine sisters remain in critical but stable condition at Fairfax Inova Hospital after a head-on crash Sunday around 8:30am on Bristow Road in Prince William County. A third sister died in the accident.
Sister Charlotte Lange and Sister Connie Ruth Lupton were both flown to the hospital after the crash. Sister Denise Mosier, 66, who was reportedly asleep in the back seat of the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The incident occurred as the three sisters were traveling from Richmond, where they teach at St. Gertrude High School to the Benedictine Monastery in Bristow.
Sister Andrea Verchuck, a subprioress at the monastery told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the nuns were making their way to the monastery's annual five-day retreat, which began on Monday, when they were hit."Everyone's in a state of shock," she said on Sunday night, adding that the community has responded with an outpouring of love and support.
According to police officials, an alleged drunken driver, Carlos A. Martinelly Montano, 23, was driving a Subaru Outback when it hit a guardrail on the road then swerved into the sisters' car, hitting it head-on. Montano, who was hospitalized with minor injuries will be transferred to Prince William-Manassas regional jail when he is discharged. He has been charged with his third DUI count in five years, involuntary manslaughter and driving on a license revoked for DUI-related reasons.
Reports from the St. Gertrude school website indicated that doctors were still trying to stop the internal bleeding in Sister Charlotte who also had some intestine removed. Sister Connie had fractured her leg, ankle and wrist as well as having a part of one of her thumb amputated. She also had injured some of her organs and was experiencing some internal bleeding.
All three nuns were associated with Linton Hall School in Bristow, which is operated by the Benedictine Sisters Monastery, and also associated with St. Gertrude's in Richmond. Sister Charlotte was the principal at St. Gertrudes', a Catholic college preparatory high school for girls, from 1985 until her retirement in 2005.


All Africa report: About one hundred youths from Roman Catholic Church of various diocese of the country, participate in the "First National Seminar about Challenges of Angolan Youths", which started Monday at Casa da Juventude in Viana District, in Luanda.

At the opening session of the event to on Wednesday, the chairman of the Youth Episcopal Commission, Dom Almeida Canga, considered this meeting and others already organised in the dioceses as an act of pedagogy that encourages and train youths for a culture of responsibility.
For Dom Almeida Canga, there is a need to pay attention to issues related with the increase of HIV/AIDS, growth of unemployment, weak civic conscience and disrespect for the environment. The First National Seminar on the Challenges of Angolan Youth is promoted by the National Secretariat of Pastoral Youths from Catholic Church, with support of the Open Society and Youth and Sports Ministry.

Three friends plan to walk 2000 kilometres, from Cairns to Stanthorpe in Queensland to raise awareness that the Bible remains untranslated in 2000 languages - representing 350 million people.

The walk commences on August 24, with a November 11 Rememberance Day end date. The friends - Andrew Sav, Andrew Carnell and Dave Carnell - plan to walk through Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg and Toowoomba and smaller towns in between, and will average more than 30 kilometres each day, reports The Catholic Leader.
Two of the men, Andrew Sav, 48, and Andrew Carnell, 30, met with Archbishop John Bathersby of Brisbane to talk of their mission and discovered another interest in common, having all been born in Stanthorpe.
Mr Carnell said Archbishop Bathersby had also immediately related to the planned walk because "he's such a keen walker himself".
The two men and Mr Carnell's cousin, Dave Carnell, 23, plan to cover the distance in 80 days.
"Each of these kilometres represents a distinct living language that doesn't yet have the Word of God - not even a single verse," walker Mr Sav said.
"It doesn't seem fair that we have not only one but dozens of different versions of the Bible in English.
The walkers' progress can be followed on their website and their Facebook page.


Peter Julian Eymard (4 February 1811 – 1 August 1868) was a French Catholic priest, founder of two religious orders, and a canonized saint.

Eymard was born 4 February 1811 at La Mure, Isère, France. His first attempt as a seminarian ended when he departed because of poor health. Nevertheless, on 20 July 1834, he was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Grenoble. In 1839, he joined the Marist Fathers, where he worked as a well-respected spiritual advisor with seminarians and priests. He worked with the Third Order of Mary and other lay organizations promoting devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and to the Eucharist, particularly in the Forty Hours. He rose to the position of Provincial of the Society at Lyon in 1845. In 1856, due to disputes with the Marists, Eymard left them and founded the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament and, in 1858, together with Marguerite Guillot founded the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament, a contemplative congregation for women.
The Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament began working with children in Paris to prepare them to receive their First Communion. It also reached out to non-practicing Catholics, inviting them to repent and begin receiving Communion again. Eymard was a tireless proponent of frequent Holy Communion, an idea given more authoritative backing by Pope Pius X in 1905.
Eymard overcame a number of difficulties to reach his goals, including poverty in his family and in his newly founded community, his father's initial opposition to his only son’s desire to be a priest, years of serious illness and pain, a Jansenistic striving for inner perfection and the difficulties of getting diocesan and later papal approval for his new religious community. Eymard was a contemporary and a friend of other saints including Peter Chanel, John Vianney and Marcellin Champagnat.
The French sculptor Auguste Rodin received counsel from Eymard when Rodin entered the Congregation as a lay brother in 1862, having giving up art after the death of his sister. Eymard recognized Rodin's talent and advised him to return to his vocation. Rodin later produced a bust of Eymard.
Eymard died on 1 August 1868. He was declared venerable in 1908, beatified in 1925, and canonized by Pope John XXIII on 9 December 1962. His feast day is celebrated in the Roman Catholic Church on 3 August. He was named Apostle of the Eucharist.

The Finding of the Relics of St. Stephen

Feast: August 3
Information: Feast Day: August 3
THE second festival in honor of the holy protomartyr St. Stephen was instituted by the Church on the occasion of the discovery of his precious remains. His body lay long concealed, under the ruins of an old tomb, in a place twenty miles from Jerusalem, called Caphargamala, where stood a church which was served by a venerable priest named Lucian. In the year 415, on Friday, the 3d of December, about nine o'clock at night, Lucian was sleeping in his bed in the baptistery, where he commonly lay in order to guard the sacred vessels of the church. Being half awake, he saw a tall, comely old man of a venerable aspect, who approached him, and, calling him thrice by his name, bid him go to Jerusalem and tell Bishop John to come and open the tombs in which his remains and those of certain other servants of Christ lay, that through their means God might open to many the gates of His clemency. This vision was repeated twice. After the second time, Lucian went to Jerusalem and laid the whole affair before Bishop John, who bade him go and search for the relics, which, the Bishop concluded, would be found under a heap of small stones which lay in a field near his church. In digging up the earth here, three coffins or chests were found. Lucian sent immediately to acquaint Bishop John with this. He was then at the Council of Diospolis, and, taking along with him Eutonius, Bishop of Sebaste, and Eleutherius, Bishop of Jericho, came to the place. Upon the opening of St. Stephen's coffin the earth shook, and there came out of the coffin such an agreeable odor that no one remembered to have ever smelled anything like it. There was a vast multitude of people assembled in that place, among whom were many persons afflicted with divers distempers, of whom seventy-three recovered their health upon the spot. They kissed the holy relics, and then shut them up. The Bishop consented to leave a small portion of them at Caphargamala; the rest were carried in the coffin with singing of psalms and hymns, to the Church of Sion at Jerusalem. The translation was performed on the 26th of December, on which day the Church hath ever since honored the memory of St. Stephen, commemorating the discovery of his relies on the 3d of August probably on account of the dedication of some church in his honor.


Matthew 14: 22 - 36

22 Then he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds.

23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,

24 but the boat by this time was many furlongs distant from the land, beaten by the waves; for the wind was against them.

25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea.

26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.

27 But immediately he spoke to them, saying, "Take heart, it is I; have no fear."

28 And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water."

29 He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus;

30 but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."

31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?"

32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

34 And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret.

35 And when the men of that place recognized him, they sent round to all that region and brought to him all that were sick,

36 and besought him that they might only touch the fringe of his garment; and as many as touched it were made well.
Post a Comment