DONATE TO JCE NEWS

Monday, July 6, 2015

Catholic News World : Mon. July 6, 2015 - Share!

2015

#FIFA Faith in #Soccer Tobin Heath " It’s Jesus. That’s why I play."- SHARE

The USA gained a 5-2 victory against Japan in the World Cup FIFA Soccer which was held in Canada. However, one of their Star players Tobin Heath explains that she plays for Jesus!
Tobin Powell Heath (born May 29, 1988) is an American soccer player.Heath, a player at FIFA, won a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and was a player in the team’s repeat gold medal performance at the 2012 London Olympics. Regarding her faith Tobin says: "I was fortunate enough to grow up in a Christian home and an awesome family. Our family was just really passionate about Jesus. I had a great experience growing up. Like many kids, I wanted to do my own thing so it wasn’t until around the end of high school and start of college that I started to develop my own faith. I stopped piggy backing off of my family’s (faith) and wanted to figure out what it was all about. I got super interested in things and obviously from there it’s just grown. Like anyone who has a relationship (with Jesus) knows, the coolest thing about it is that it’s infinite how much you can learn and begin to understand. It’s something that grabbed me." Her faith also is shared with her teammates: "You spend so much time with your teammates in environments where they see how you live. It’s one of the coolest ways to just love people." "Your teammates see you through the good and the bad. They see where your foundation lies in those moments. You can also be there for them to share the love of Christ to them through those times when they’re in need and desperate for some truth in their lives." Her relationship with Jesus is important: "I can’t even imagine going through life without my relationship with Jesus. So much of it is me relying on Him and me needing Him, not just in those crazy circumstances but in the day-to-day activities. During that time at the World Cup, it was a rollercoaster ride, but it was neat to just see His hand on that. It’s more than just winning or losing. There are so many relationships that go deeper than that. He has a plan in it all. You have to trust that. Even though it’s not the ideal outcome—I mean, everybody wants to be winners—you have to trust that God has a greater plan for this even when you can’t see it." Heath went on to explain "Know your place. I know it kind of sounds a little backwards, but I just really think of God as being so incredible. The depth of who He is and His character is unfathomable and the fact that we can know Him just a little bit is so cool. He knows us inside and out. It’s remarkable in many ways. When I try to think about Him, I’m just in awe. That humbles me in any situation. When I need strength in hard times, I know I have a God that can move mountains. Or if I’m going through a time of success, I can just rejoice in the Lord and give glory to Him knowing that He’s given me the gifts to be able to accomplish what I have. Everything comes back to Him." When it comes to non-believers Tobin relates: "But even with my non-believing teammates, there is a great amount of unity and I truly believe that’s God working. It’s really cool in team sports when you’re united around a belief or something you want to accomplish. Whenever you’re working towards something greater than yourself, it’s almost a selflessness that the Lord delights in when you’re serving your teammate or your friend or your sister in Christ. That’s just why I love team sports. It’s a great example of that selflessness that I think is really pleasing to God." About being a role model Tobin says, "It’s really neat when you become a role model. It’s also a lot of responsibility. But if you see it as a platform where you can pour into others for Jesus with love, that’s where I want to be. Becoming known or noticed in my sport isn’t what drives me to work hard and want to be the best I can be. It’s Jesus. That’s why I play. I play to glorify Him. I worship Him with the gifts I’ve been given. Through that, I just hope He can be glorified. I try to keep that as my motivation when I step out on the field every day whether it’s practice or a game. It’s to work as hard as I can in thankfulness for what He’s given me and hopefully some of that can come back to Him." She shows where her priorities lie "It’s not about that worldly outcome in terms of winning or losing. It’s about Him being known and not in a way that forces it upon other people but in a way that lets people know how He’s transformed my life and how He’s given me purpose and meaning and love and satisfaction. That’s the message of Jesus. It’s not a platform to impose on people. It’s a platform to love people. Our God’s going to be victorious. He’s the Creator of the universe. I’m just a vessel trying to do my part with what I’ve been given." Edited from Interview with Belief.net
Official Prayer to St. Maria Goretti Oh Saint Maria Goretti who, strengthened by God's grace, did not hesitate even at the age of twelve to shed your blood and sacrifice life itself to defend your virginal purity, look graciously on the unhappy human race which has strayed far from the path of eternal salvation. Teach us all, and especially youth, with what courage and promptitude we should flee for the love of Jesus anything that could offend Him or stain our souls with sin. Obtain for us from our Lord victory in temptation, comfort in the sorrows of life, and the grace which we earnestly beg of thee (here insert intention), and may we one day enjoy with thee the imperishable glory of Heaven. Amen. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father, etc. St. Maria Goretti, pray for us!
Prayer Before a Date Dear Little Saint Maria Goretti! Teach me that God must be my first love and that all other love is based on Him and Him alone. Obtain for me the grace to cease toying with the occasions of sin and to remember that my body and the bodies of all in grace are temples of the Holy Spirit, destined someday for a glorious resurrection.  Through your beautiful example, teach me the value and dignity of Christian modesty. Grant that I may never be the occasion of dragging others into Hell, by suggestive words or evil deeds of any kind. Through the merits of your Martyrdom, obtain for me the grace to turn aside from sin, no matter what the cost, so that one day I may enjoy Heaven with you and all the other saints. Amen. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father, etc. St. Maria Goretti, pray for us! top

St.Mary Goretti Novena Prayer

Saint Mary Goretti who, strengthened by God's grace, did not hesitate, even at the age of twelve, to shed your blood and sacrifice life itself to defend your virginal purity, look graciously on the unhappy human race, which has strayed far from the path of eternal salvation. Teach us all, and especially youth, with what courage and promptitude we should flee for the love of Jesus, anything that could offend Him or stain our souls with sin. Obtain for us from our Lord victory in temptation, comfort in the sorrows of life, and the grace which we earnestly beg of Thee, (mention your request) and may we one day enjoy with Thee the imperishable glory of heaven. Amen.

NOVENA Prayers Below


The Nine Day Novena To St. Mary Goretti
DAY ONE 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Most lovable little Saint, who valued your purity above any earthly gain, and who sealed this choice with a martyr's death, obtain for me also a strong love of this virtue, so consoling to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The pleasures of the world create many temptations for me. I turn to your powerful intercession in Heaven, so that with this help I may remain ever loyal to God, no matter what the price. In danger inspire me to repeat with you, "No, it is a sin!" Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY TWO 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Saint Mary Goretti, model of loving obedience to parents, teach me to imitate your example. Help me to overcome all selfishness and stubborn pride, draw my parents to Thee, then lead me to accept this authority as the Voice of God in my life. Help them to direct me aright and enable me to obey their every wish. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY THREE 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Saint Mary! You were ready for the moment of martyrdom because your short life was given over to daily and heroic self-denial. Your great love of the Sacred Hearts made all this possible. Teach me to love Jesus and His Blessed Mother, so that I too will be inspired to daily self-denial. I am inclined to pamper myself, to gratify my senses, and to excuse myself from all penance. This keeps me from being a true follower of Christ. Help me, lovable Little Martyr, to a sincere practice of self- denial, so that I may be your worthy follower and thus gain Heaven for all Eternity. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY FOUR 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Saint! Your days were spent in the filth of the marshes, willingly helping your desperately poor parents and family. Obtain for me the grace to accept my present circumstances in life, no matter how difficult or humiliating they may be. "Just one little drop of water" as the only request that fell from your parched lips during those last horrible hours of life. How much I demand, how unhappy I am when I cannot have my share of the world's conveniences and gaudy attractions! Teach me by your heroic example to be content with what I have, to be grateful for the blessings God has already showered upon me. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin,(below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY FIVE 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Saint, I depend a great deal upon the help of my friends in time of trouble or sorrow. I look for their approval in many things I do. I am disconsolate and lonely when they desert me. Through your powerful intercession in Heaven, obtain for me the grace to place all my confidence in God. Only by walking constantly in His presence and depending upon His help, will I have the courage to stand up for His laws, even though it may mean loss of friends, criticism and complete removal of worldly comfort. Help me to look for all of my strength in Him. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY SIX 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Saint! Help me to greater love of my Faith. I have many God-given opportunities to study it but, sad to say, I neglect them. I am even critical of the Priests, Brothers and Sisters who offer their lives that I may better know and love my holy religion. Dear Saint Mary Goretti, teach me to be thankful for these grace which you did not have. Make me proud of my Faith and ready to die for it, if God should require that of me Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY SEVEN 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Saint, never was Jesus more welcome in a human heart than in yours. The Great Day of First Communion could not come quickly enough. In borrowed clothes and head crowned with flowers of the field, you knelt to receive Him into your soul, so rich with Innocence and Love, and this after months of keen anticipation!
O Powerful Intercessor with the Lamb of God, inflame my soul with your "ardent longing to receive Jesus in the Eucharist." Obtain for me the grace to put aside laziness and indifference, so that I may often, even daily, allow myself to be consumed in the "burning Furnace of Charity." Teach me what true Love really is! Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
DAY EIGHT 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Little Martyr! To the last you followed your beloved Jesus! He, while hanging upon His Cross of Suffering, uttered through parched lips, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!" And you upon your bed of pain, burning with fever, forgave your murderer with the words, "I too, pardon him... I too, wish him to join me in Paradise!
Grant me the grace, O Heroic Saint, to be charitable to others! Much of my time is spent on vengeful thoughts, seeking how I may pay back to others the harm they have done to me. Teach me to forgive, so that I may not only gain Heaven, but also lead others there who might otherwise be doomed to Hell. If I am to follow Christ, help me to imitate His Charity, even as you have done. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
(top)
DAY NINE 
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen
Dear Saint Mary Goretti! Once again I turn to you, and beg of you in the words of Our Holy Father, Pope Pius XII, that "serenity of spirit and deep joy which is the heritage of those who are pure of heart." Help me to turn to Our Blessed Lady, confident in the hope that she will take my hand as she did yours, and lead me on to Paradise, my heavenly country, there to enjoy with you and Her, the company of God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for all Eternity. Amen.
Recite the Litany of the Blessed Virgin (below) followed by
Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my Love!
Sweet Heart of Mary, be my Salvation!
Recite the Prayer to Saint Mary Goretti above, followed by
Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be to the Father,
Saint Mary Goretti, Pray for us!
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.


I WAS CREATED AS A UNIQUE CHILD OF GOD.

  1. I am special! My body was made in God's image and how I choose to act, what I choose to wear, to watch or listen to, enhances or diminishes the virtues of my personality.
     
  2. I will cherish my body and sexuality as gifts from God and give myself time to grow, mature, and understand who I am and what God wants me to be in my life. I will take pride in being chaste because it pleases God and offers me the greatest freedom in life.
     
  3. The Blessed Mother, by her holiness and modesty, radiated a grace, dignity and beauty that was a perfect reflection of our loving God. When I try to imitate Mary, like St. Maria Goretti, I can inspire others my age and be a role model through my behavior and example.
     
  4. Marital love and sex have a wondrous power permitted by God to create human life through the sacred and holy union of husband and wife. I respect this co-creative role God has entrusted to me when I value myself and my sexuality as a sign of God's loving relationship with me and with the person I will someday choose to love.
     
  5. I will seek guidance and support when making difficult personal decisions in life. I understand the possibility of harmful choices and their consequences, but I also understand the loving forgiveness that is mine from God, always.
     
  6. I now sign my name as a young man or young woman who desires to be a member of this positive and powerful core group of young Christians, committed by action and example, to prayer, chastity, forgiveness and love of God in the Eucharist, like St. Maria Goretti, model for today's youth.
St. Maria Goretti, pray for us!
 
________________________________________
(signature)
Please print and sign this form. Keep a copy for yourself as a reminder of your promise to God and to yourself, and send/fax another copy, along with your address, to:
FRIENDS OF ST. MARIA GORETTI USA, INC.
P.O. Box 0043
Maryknoll, NY 10545-0043
Phone: 914/941-6372 Fax: 914/945-0715
email: gzilli@maryknoll.org

P.S. We'd love to hear about your stories of bravery, chastity and advice to other "FRIENDS OF ST. MARIA GORETTI" who have made the Modesty Pledge!

Free Catholic Movie - St. Maria Goretti - Drama - Full Film - #StMariaGoretti


 JCE News is showing some of the best Catholic movies of all time: Maria Goretti (2003) TV Movie - Drama - 23 February 2003 (Italy)The life of the virgin and martyr Santa Maria Goretti.
FOR AMAZING FREE MOVIES - NEWS AND MORE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK NOW https://www.facebook.com/catholicnewsworld
Director: Giulio Base Writer: Francesco Contaldo (story) Stars: Massimo Bonetti, Luisa Ranieri, Flavio Insinna |
NOTE Film is in Italian - For English Subtitles - Click "CC" at bottom of Screen - Turn Captions "On" - Then Click Translate Captions and select language

Today's Mass Readings and Video : Mon. July 6, 2015


Monday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 383


Reading 1GN 28:10-22A

Jacob departed from Beer-sheba and proceeded toward Haran.
When he came upon a certain shrine, as the sun had already set,
he stopped there for the night.
Taking one of the stones at the shrine, he put it under his head
and lay down to sleep at that spot.
Then he had a dream: a stairway rested on the ground,
with its top reaching to the heavens;
and God’s messengers were going up and down on it.
And there was the LORD standing beside him and saying:
“I, the LORD, am the God of your forefather Abraham
and the God of Isaac;
the land on which you are lying
I will give to you and your descendants.
These shall be as plentiful as the dust of the earth,
and through them you shall spread out east and west, north and south.
In you and your descendants
all the nations of the earth shall find blessing.
Know that I am with you;
I will protect you wherever you go,
and bring you back to this land.
I will never leave you until I have done what I promised you.”

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he exclaimed,
“Truly, the LORD is in this spot, although I did not know it!”
In solemn wonder he cried out: “How awesome is this shrine!
This is nothing else but an abode of God,
and that is the gateway to heaven!”
Early the next morning Jacob took the stone
that he had put under his head,
set it up as a memorial stone, and poured oil on top of it.
He called the site Bethel,
whereas the former name of the town had been Luz.

Jacob then made this vow: “If God remains with me,
to protect me on this journey I am making
and to give me enough bread to eat and clothing to wear,
and I come back safe to my father’s house, the LORD shall be my God.
This stone that I have set up as a memorial stone shall be God’s abode.”

Responsorial PsalmPS 91:1-2, 3-4, 14-15AB

R. (see 2b) In you, my God, I place my trust.
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.
For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler,
from the destroying pestilence.
With his pinions he will cover you,
and under his wings you shall take refuge.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.
Because he clings to me, I will deliver him;
I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.

AlleluiaSEE 2 TM 1:10

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death
and brought life to light through the Gospel.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GospelMT 9:18-26

While Jesus was speaking, an official came forward,
knelt down before him, and said,
“My daughter has just died.
But come, lay your hand on her, and she will live.”
Jesus rose and followed him, and so did his disciples.
A woman suffering hemorrhages for twelve years came up behind him
and touched the tassel on his cloak.
She said to herself, “If only I can touch his cloak, I shall be cured.”
Jesus turned around and saw her, and said,
“Courage, daughter! Your faith has saved you.”
And from that hour the woman was cured.

When Jesus arrived at the official’s house
and saw the flute players and the crowd who were making a commotion,
he said, “Go away! The girl is not dead but sleeping.”
And they ridiculed him.
When the crowd was put out, he came and took her by the hand,
and the little girl arose.
And news of this spread throughout all that land.

Latest #News from #Vatican and #PopeFrancis - #HolySee


06-07-2015 - Year XXII - Num. 125 

Summary
- The Pope arrives in Ecuador, the first stage of his apostolic trip in Latin America
- Francis prays to Our Lady at the Basilica of St. Mary Major before his trip to Latin America
- To the members of Charismatic Renewal movement: share with all the baptism you have received
- Benedict XVI receives Doctorate honoris causa from the Pontifical University of John Paul II and the Musical Academy of Krakow
- Other Pontifical Acts
The Pope arrives in Ecuador, the first stage of his apostolic trip in Latin America
Vatican City, 6 July 2015 (VIS) – At 10 p.m. yesterday, 5 July, Pope Francis arrived in Quito, the capital of Ecuador, on the first leg of his ninth apostolic trip during which he will also visit Bolivia and Paraguay.
The Holy Father left Rome by air at 9 a.m; during the long flight he spoke with the journalists who accompanied him on the aircraft and, as is customary, sent telegrams to the Heads of State of those countries through whose airspace he passed.
Upon arrival in Quito, the Pontiff was received by a group of children dressed in the traditional costumes of the various Ecuadorian peoples: two of them, a boy and a girl, offered him a floral tribute. The president, Rafael Correa, then gave a welcome address in which, in the light of the Encyclical “Laudato si'”, he mentioned that 20% of the national territory is protected in 44 nature reserves and parks, and he underlined the diversity of cultures present in Ecuador, which is home to not only a mestizo majority but also 14 indigenous nationalities with corresponding ancestral languages, including two populations who live in the heart of virgin forest, choosing voluntary isolation. The president also mentioned various documents constituting the pastoral Magisterium, with clear reference to the Social Doctrine of the Church, and concluded amiably: “The Argentines very proudly say 'the Pope is Argentine', and my dear friend Dilma Rousseff, president of Brazil, says, 'very well, the Pope is Argentine, but God is Brazilian!'. Of course the Pope is Argentine, and perhaps God is Brazilian, but one thing is certain: paradise is Ecuadorian!”.
The Pope expressed his joy and gratitude for the warm welcome he received, “a sign of the hospitality which so well defines the people of this noble nation”.
 “I thank you, Mr President, for your words and I appreciate the convergence of what you have said with my own way of thinking: you have quoted me far too much, thank you!”, he continued. “I, in turn, express my cordial good wishes for the exercise of your office: that you may achieve your objectives for the good of your people. I greet the distinguished government authorities, my brother bishops, the faithful of the Church in this country, and all those who today have opened to me their hearts, their homes, their nation. To all of you, I express my affection and sincere appreciation”.
“I have visited Ecuador on a number of occasions for pastoral reasons. Today too I have come as a witness of God’s mercy and of faith in Jesus Christ. For centuries that faith has shaped the identity of this people and borne much good fruit, including the outstanding figures of St. Mariana de Jesus, St. Miguel Febres, St. Narcisa de Jesus and Blessed Mercedes de Jesus Molina, beatified in Guayaquil thirty years ago, during the visit of Pope St. John Paul II. These, and others like them, lived their faith with intensity and enthusiasm, and by their works of mercy they contributed in a variety of ways to improving the Ecuadorian society of their day”.
“In our own time too, we can find in the Gospel a key to meeting contemporary challenges, respecting differences, fostering dialogue and full participation, so that the growth in progress and development already registered will be strengthened and ensure a better future for everyone, with particular concern for the most vulnerable of our brothers and sisters who are the debt still outstanding in Latin America. In these efforts, Mr President, you can always count on the commitment and cooperation of the Church to serve the Ecuadorian people who move forward with great dignity”.
 “Dear friends, I begin my visit filled with excitement and hope for the days ahead. In Ecuador is the point closest to outer space: it is the Chimborazo, which for that reason is called the place 'closest to the sun', the moon and the stars. We Christians identify Christ with the sun, and the moon with the Church; the moon does not have its own light, indeed if it hides from the sun it will be enveloped by darkness. The sun is Jesus Christ and if the Church moves away or hides from him, she will be in darkness and no longer able to offer witness. May the coming days make all of us ever more clearly aware of how close is the sun which 'dawns upon us from on high'. May each of us be a true reflection of his light and his love”.
“From this place, I wish to embrace all of Ecuador. From the peak of Chimborazo to the Pacific coast; from the Amazon rainforest to the Galapagos Islands, may you never lose the ability to thank God for what he has done and is doing for you. May you never lose the ability to protect what is small and simple, to care for your children and for your elderly, who are the living memory of your people, to have confidence in the young, and to be constantly struck by the nobility of your people and the singular beauty of your country, which, according to the President, is nothing short of paradise”.
“May the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, to which Ecuador has been consecrated, grant you every grace and blessing. Thank you”, concluded the Pope.
Following a brief private audience with President Correa, the Pope travelled by popemobile the forty kilometres between Mariscal Sucre airport and the centre of Quito, the best conserved capital of all South America. It was the first, along with the Polish city of Krakow, to be declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1978. During his journey the Pope was greeted by thousands of people who had gathered around Quito to await his arrival. Upon arrival at the apostolic nunciature, where he was to dine and rest for a few hours, Francis went out into the street to greet the faithful, who applauded him. “I come to bless you before we go to rest, and let the neighbours sleep!” he said, and after reciting the Lord's Prayer with them, he returned inside the nunciature.
This afternoon the Pope will transfer to Guayaquil where he will visit the Shrine of Divine Mercy and celebrate Holy Mass.
Francis prays to Our Lady at the Basilica of St. Mary Major before his trip to Latin America
Vatican City, 4 July 2015 (VIS) – At 7 p.m. today, the eve of his departure for Latin America, the Holy Father went to the Basilica of St. Mary Major to commend his imminent apostolic trip to Our Lady. He left a floral tribute before the image of the Virgin, composed of flowers in the colours of the flags of the three countries he will visit, and spent around twenty minutes in prayer.
To the members of Charismatic Renewal movement: share with all the baptism you have received
Vatican City, 4 July 2015 (VIS) – Unity in diversity and ecumenism of prayer, word and blood were the key themes of the Pope's improvised address to the thousands of members of the Renewal in the Holy Spirit movement yesterday afternoon, on the occasion of their 38th National Convocation, held in Rome from 3-4 July on the theme “Ways of Unity and Peace – Voices of prayer for the martyrs of today and for a spiritual ecumenism”. The encounter began at 4 p.m. in St. Peter's Square, and was attended by Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches; Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, president of the Italian Episcopal Conference, along with the Orthodox and Catholic oriental Patriarchs, Anglican and Lutheran bishops, and Pentecostal pastors.
In his address, the Pope emphasised that unity does not mean uniformity. It is not a “spherical” unity in which “every point is equidistant from the centre and there is no difference between one point and another. The model is the polyhedron, which reflects the confluence of all the parts that nonetheless maintain their originality, and these are the charisms, in unity but also diversity. … The distinction is important because we are speaking about the work of the Holy Spirit, not our own. Unity in the diversity of expressions of reality, as many as the Holy Spirit has wished to inspire”.
Another point the Holy Father considered very important to clarify related to those who guide. “There exists a great temptation for leaders to believe themselves indispensable, step by step to head towards authoritarianism, to personality cults, and not to allow the communities renewed in the Holy Spirit to thrive. This temptation renders 'eternal' the position of those who consider themselves indispensable. … We must be very clear that only the Holy Spirit is indispensable in the Church and Jesus is the only Lord. There are no others. … A time limit should be established for roles in the Church, which are in reality a form of service. An important service carried out by lay leaders is to facilitate the growth and the spiritual and pastoral maturity of those who will take their place at the end of their service. It would be opportune for all roles of service in the Church to have a time limit – there are no lifelong leaders in the Church”.
The Holy Father asked the members of Renewal in the Holy Spirit to share with all in the Church the baptism they have received. “It is the most important service that we can give to all in the Church”, he emphasised: “helping the people of God in their personal encounter with Jesus Christ, Who transforms us into new men and women, in small groups, humble but effective, because the Spirit that works within them. Do not focus on large-scale meetings that often go no further, but instead on the 'artisanal' relationships that derive from witness, in the family, at work, in social life, in parishes, in prayer groups, with everyone!”.
Another strong sign of the Spirit in Charismatic Renewal is the search for unity in the Body of Christ. “You, as Charismatics, have the special grace of praying and working for Christian unity, so that the current of grace flows through all Christian Churches. Christian unity is the work of the Holy Spirit and we must pray together. … We have all received the same baptism, we all follow Jesus' path. … We have all caused these divisions throughout history, for different reasons, but not good ones. But now is the time that the Spirit makes us think that these divisions are a sort of 'counter-witness', and we must do all we can to walk side by side: spiritual ecumenism, the ecumenism of prayer”.
There is also another form of unity: “the unity of the blood of martyrs, that makes us one. There is the ecumenism of blood. We know that those who kill Christians in hatred of Jesus Christ, before killing, do not ask: 'But are you a Lutheran, Orthodox, Evangelical, Baptist, Methodist?' They say, 'You are Christian', and behead them. … Fifty years ago, Blessed Paul VI, during the canonisation of the young martyrs of Uganda, referred to the fact that for the same reason the blood of their Anglican companion catechists had been shed. They were Christians, they were martyrs. Forgive me, and do not be scandalised, but they are our martyrs! Because they gave their lives for Christ, and this is ecumenism of blood. We must pray in memory of our common martyrs”.
Finally, there is “unity in work with the poor and the needy, who also need baptism in the Holy Spirit. It would be good to organise seminars on life in the Spirit, along with other Christian charismatic entities, for those brothers and sisters who live on the streets: they too have the Spirit within them that pushes for someone to throw open the door from outside”.
Before imparting his final blessing, the Pope invited those present to go forth and preach the good news of Jesus “to the poor, to the marginalised, the blind, the sick, the imprisoned, to all men and women. In each one of them there is the Spirit, Who wants to be helped to throw open the door so as to be revived. May the Lord accompany you in this mission, always with the Bible in your hand, always with the Gospel in your pocket, with the Word of Christ”.
Benedict XVI receives Doctorate honoris causa from the Pontifical University of John Paul II and the Musical Academy of Krakow
Vatican City, 4 July 2015 (VIS) – Pope emeritus Benedict XVI today received a Doctorate honoris causa from the Pontifical University of John Paul II and the Musical Academy of Krakow, Poland, granted by the rectors of both institutions and conferred this morning at Castel Gandolfo by Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, archbishop of Krakow and grand chancellor of the university dedicated to St. John Paul II.
Benedict XVI received the nomination with a discourse in which he recalled how St. John Paul II demonstrated by example that “the joy of great religious music and the role of popular participation in holy liturgy, the solemn joy and simplicity of the humble celebration of the faith, go hand in hand”.
“In the Vatican Council II Constitution on the liturgy it is written very clearly: 'The treasure of sacred music is to be preserved and fostered with great care'. On the other hand, the text highlights, as a fundamental liturgical category, the participatio actuosa of all the faithful in holy action. But what remained peacefully together in the Constitution has often subsequently, in the reception of the Council, been in a relationship of dramatic tension. Significant parts of the liturgical movement believed that there would be space for the great choral works and even orchestral masses only in concert halls, not in the liturgy, in which there would have been space only for the hymns and common prayer of the faithful. On the other hand, there was dismay at the cultural impoverishment of the Church that would necessarily have resulted. How could the two aspects be reconciled? These were the questions asked by many of the faithful, including simple people, not only those with a theological education”.
“At this point, perhaps it is correct to ask the underlying question: what is music? Where does it come from and where does it lead? I think there are three 'places' from which music arises. The first wellspring is the experience of love. When human beings were seized by love, another dimension of being opened up within them, a new greatness and breadth of reality, driving them to express themselves in a new way. Poetry, hymn and music in general were born of the opening up of this new dimension of life. A second origin of music is the experience of sadness, of being touched by death, by suffering and by the abysses of existence. In this case too, in the opposite direction, there open up new dimensions of life that do not find answers in discourse alone. Finally, the third origin of music is the encounter with the divine, which from the beginning is part of what defines the human being. … It may be said that the quality of music depends on the purity and the greatness of the encounter with the divine, with the experience of love and pain. The purer and more authentic the experience, the purer and greater will be the music that emerges and develops from it”.
“Certainly, western music goes far beyond the religious and ecclesial environment. However, it finds its deepest source in the liturgy in the encounter with God. In Bach, for whom the glory of God ultimately represents the aim of all music, this is entirely evident. The great and pure response of western music developed in the encounter with that God Who, in the liturgy, made Himself present in us in Jesus Christ. That music, for me, is a demonstration of the truth of Christianity. Where this form of response develops, the encounter with the truth, with the true Creator of the world, takes place. Therefore, the great religious music is a reality of theological level and lasting meaning for the faith of all Christianity, even though it is not at all necessary for it to be performed always and everywhere. On the other hand, it is also clear that it cannot disappear from the liturgy and its presence can be an entirely special form of participation in holy celebration and in the mystery of the faith”.
“If we think of the liturgy celebrated by St. John Paul II in all continents, we see the full breadth of the expressive possibilities of faith in the liturgical event, and we also see how the great music of the western tradition is not external to the liturgy, but instead originated and grew within it and in this way continually contributes to its formation. We do not know the future of our culture and of religious music. But one thing is clear: where there takes place the encounter with the living God Who in Christ comes towards us, there too develops the response, whose beauty comes from the truth itself”, concluded Benedict XVI.
Other Pontifical Acts
Vatican City, 4 July 2015 (VIS) – The Holy Father appointed:
- Joaquin Hermes Robledo Romero of Carapegua, Paraguay, as bishop of San Lorenzo (area 1,944, population 823,239, Catholics 813,000, priests 41, permanent deacons 29, religious 106), Paraguay.
- Bishop Jean Laffitte, secretary of the Pontifical Council for the Family, as prelate of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.

#PopeFrancis arrives in #Ecuador "..I have come as a witness of God’s mercy..." Text/Video

Pope Francis arrived in Quito, Ecuador, for a tour of Latin America - Ecuador, Bolivia and Paraguay. Below, please find the full text of the Holy Father’s prepared remarks at the welcome ceremony, in their official English translation.
************************************** Mr President,
Distinguished Government Authorities,
My Brother Bishops,
Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Friends,
I thank God for having allowed me to return to Latin America and to be here with you today in this beautiful land of Ecuador. I feel joy and gratitude as I see the warm welcome you have offered me. It is a sign of the hospitality which so well defines the people of this noble nation.
I thank you, Mr President, for your kind words, and I express my cordial good wishes for the exercise of your office. I greet the distinguished government authorities, my brother bishops, the faithful of the Church in this country, and all those who today have opened to me their hearts, their homes, their nation. To all of you, I express my affection and sincere appreciation.
I have visited Ecuador on a number of occasions for pastoral reasons. Today too I have come as a witness of God’s mercy and of faith in Jesus Christ. For centuries that faith has shaped the identity of this people and borne much good fruit, including the outstanding figures of Saint Mariana de Jesus, Saint Miguel Febres, Saint Narcisa de Jesús and Blessed Mercedes de Jesús Molina, beatified in Guayaquil thirty years ago, during the visit of Pope Saint John Paul II. These, and others like them, lived their faith with intensity and enthusiasm, and by their works of mercy they contributed in a variety of ways to improving the Ecuadorian society of their day.
In our own time too, we can find in the Gospel a key to meeting contemporary challenges, respecting differences, fostering dialogue and full participation, so that the growth in progress and development already registered will ensure a better future for everyone, with particular concern for the most vulnerable of our brothers and sisters. In these efforts, Mr President, you can always count on the commitment and cooperation of the Church.
Dear friends, I begin my visit filled with excitement and hope for the days ahead. In Ecuador is the point closest to outer space: it is the peak of Chimborazo, which for that reason is called the place “closest to the sun”, the moon and the stars. We Christians identify Christ with the sun, and the moon with the Church, the community of the faithful. No one, save Jesus Christ, possesses his or her own light. May the coming days make all of us ever more clearly aware of how close is the sun which “dawns upon us from on high”. May each of us be a true reflection of his light and his love.
From this place, I wish to embrace all of Ecuador. From the peak of Chimborazo to the Pacific coast; from the Amazon rainforest to the Galapagos Islands, may you never lose the ability to thank God for what he has done and is doing for you. May you never lose the ability to protect what is small and simple, to care for your children and your elderly, to have confidence in the young, and to be constantly struck by the nobility of your people and the singular beauty of your country.
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, to which Ecuador has been consecrated, grant you every grace and blessing. Thank you.

Saint July 6 : St. Maria Goretti : Patron of #Teen #Girls and Crime #Victims


St. Maria Goretti
VIRGIN AND MARTYR
Feast: July 6


Information:
Feast Day:July 6
Born:October 16, 1890(1890-10-16), Corinaldo, Province of Ancona, Marche, Kingdom of Italy
Died:July 6, 1902 (aged 11), Nettuno, Province of Rome, Lazio, Kingdom of Italy
Canonized:June 24, 1950, Rome by Pope Pius XII
Major Shrine:Nettuno, Province of Rome, Lazio, Italy
Patron of:Crime victims, teenage girls, modern youth, Children of Mary
Virgin martyr and miracle worker in death. She was stabbed to death on July 6 while resisting the advances of the son of her father's business partner. Maria was born in Corinaldo, Italy, the daughter of a farmer who moved the family to Ferriere di Conca, near Anzio. There Alexander Serenelli, a youth who lived in the same house, tried to seduce the young Maria. When she refused him, Alexander stabbed her repeatedly. Arrested for the murder, he was imprisoned and experienced a vision of Maria. Her cuase was opened becuase she was credited with some forty miracles after her death. She was canonized by Pope Pius XII (r. 1939-1958) in 1950, as a model of purity. Alexander attended her canonization.


SOURCE: EWTN


No comments: